Skincare is tricky and spending hundreds of dollars finding the right skin care products can feel like a lifetime commitment. Googling your skin type and quizzing the drug store aesthetician may feel helpful but, when you’re breakouts are giving you the blues knowing where to turn can resolve your issues.
Proper skin care can leave you feeling confident and beautiful. So how do you know when you’ve found the right product for your skin? The answer isn’t always easy yet, the first step is as simple as understanding your own skin.
“Every person should understand the type of skin they have. Cleansing, especially at night, is essential for skin health. Toners are often thought to be unimportant, but they are actually essential to softening the dermis so it’s ready to receive the proper moisturizer. Cleansing is the first step to skincare,” says Tim MacPhee, owner of BeGorgeous, a cometic and beauty salon located in Sophie’s Place.
There are 5 types of skin that we should all be aware of before making the proper skin care choices:
Knowing which type you are can be as simple as examining and acknowledging the way your skin feels when you wake up each morning. Each skin type has its faults so, developing a deeper understanding is important to proper skin health.
- Combination Skin: Two types of skin, partly dry and oily. At times, cheeks may lack moisture, t-zone is oily and pores enlarged.
- Dry Skin: Skin is dry due to lack of oil and moisture. Skin looks flaky and may fell tight after cleansing.
- Oily Skin: Similar to combination skin. Skin appears oily only and pores are enlarged in t-zone area.
- Sensitive: Reddening, irritation and unpleasant tightness. Skin may look tense, blotchy and flaky. This may be due to environmental factors such as wind and sun.
- Mature and Demanding: Over time wrinkles begin to form and skin tone diminishes.
Once you know you’re skin type you may want a second opinion when you’re looking for the right creams. Gathering information from someone who knows skin will surely benefit your search for a brighter glow.
“I love products that are healthy for the skin. Paraben free products, like Babor, that hydrates, have vitamins, peptides and work with plant stem cells to effect great benefits to the skin are best,” says Tim, “we launched an incredible line-up of cosmetics and skincare services and will be adding a suite of spa and skincare services throughout 2016.
Skin care should be luxurious. So, don’t spend you’re time doubtfully searching for something that’s just not right. Know that the key to understanding your skin needs is just around the corner.